How It All Started
Brown’s Transmission was started by founder Delmar Brown who began tinkering in automotive repair as a youngster in Crooksville, Ohio at the age of 15. Later, while working in the coal mines, he was called to serve his country in 1945-46 in the service in the maintenance motor pool. After that, he returned to Crooksville where he worked for Feadey Ford, Wilson Pontiac, & Cadillac in New Lexington during the early to mid 50s.
Delmar Brown and Homer Martin opened Brown’s Transmission on East Main Street in 1957-58. Delmar and his wife Clara began construction of the Wells Avenue business as a five-bay garage using standard floor jacks in 1959. It was up and running like a dream on April 15th, 1962.
Outgrowing the building with the quality work he provided, he turned operation and management over to his son Guy in 1972. Delmar spent two years building the new shop by himself until the existing shop was in operation in 1975.
Guy’s son Brian came into the business in 1986. He expanded the shop in 2005 with a new seven-bay dedicated area. Brian has taken over all operations of this family owned business, and his father Guy retired in June 2012.
Brown’s Transmission and automotive repair shop has a proud history in the Newark and Licking County areas. We are proud of our reputation as one of Newark’s oldest family repair shops, and we are committed to providing our customers with TOP QUALITY PRODUCTS and services at a competitive price.
Brian B. Brown/President